Privacy and confidentiality are the cornerstones of a credible EFAP. Aroon Shah & Associates Incorporated (ASA) is committed to the highest level of confidentiality and data security to protect the personal information of all its clients. ASA collects personal information for the purpose of providing Employee Assistance Program services to our corporate clients and their family members
ASA is compliant with the current Federal and the province of British Columbia privacy legislations without compromising the ethics of the relevant professional associations.
Aroon Shah Associates Inc. has identified that its Privacy Compliance rests with Aroon Shah, Director, M.Ed (Couns. Psych),RCC.
The privacy and security policy identifies procedures and standards for data collection, use, disclosure, retention and safeguards for data security.
ASA Privacy Standards
- ASA maintains all client files and data in a protected and secured manner.
- ASA, its Counsellors and Associates adhere to all the Federal, Provincial, and Professional statutes governing confidentiality and privacy.
- ASA maintains a secure and coded procedure for conducting any electronic transfer of client information.
- ASA and its representatives educate all program participants prior to assessment on the privacy and the limits of confidentiality – when the information may be disclosed without written authorization of the individual.
Information Collected by ASA
ASA and its representatives, in the course of intake, assessment, counselling, and referral, collects case information regarding assessment, problem identification, problem resolution, case management, and follow-up.
Nature of Information Collected
- Name of client’s organization (if family member, relationship to the client).
- Personal information – Gender, address, contact information, age, marital status, number of children, medications, family physician.
- Organization – Department, position, length of employment, part or full time, working status.
- Referral information – who referred the client and how did they hear about the program.
Use of Information
Clients are always informed the reason for collecting information, and how it will be utilized. Information collected is to ensure client’s eligibility for program, and for case management. The client is also informed that the data will be collectively used to analyse program utilization, trends, demographics, and present anonymous data to the EAP Committee.
Confidentiality Policy on Information Disclosure
All clients are informed that we can not disclose their personal information, nor acknowledge their contact with us without a written consent from them. They are also informed of the areas that are subject to disclosure by ASA without written consent:
- When reporting child abuse and/or elder abuse.
- When releasing information about being a risk to oneself or others.
- When relating intent to commit illegal acts or threats to the organization, other employees or the EAP.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal information will be retained for the time as required by the law and the professional association’s statutes.
Access to Personal Information
Individual can access their individual files at any time. However, that will not have access to the file individually, if they were seen as a couple or a family. In that case, the written consent of all the parties is required.
ASA will use all the possible means to safeguard client information, including secured premises, locked cabinets, encrypted files, passwords, internet security. All precautions will be taken when shredding files.